Annibale Fagnola (1865-1939) was one of ten kids born to a Montiglio family of farmers, 50km from Turin. Before moving to Turin in 1894, he served apprenticeships in his hometown as a baker, mechanic, and possibly in instrument-making. The following year, he established his own workshop and was assisted by Orazio Roggero, a collector and dealer. He won medals at the Milan and Genoa exhibitions in 1906, which earned him commercial success.
Fagnola’s early work is often faithfully copied by great past makers, such as Pressenda, Guadagnini and Rocca. The deep red varnish from this period shows that Fagnola wanted to imitate his Turinese predecessors. His career progressed and he began to express his personality in his work. Pressenda was a strong influence but Fagnola’s best instruments were built after that model. His fame spread from 1910 to England and the USA. By 1930, his work was well-known to the Hills and Beares of London and Wurlitzer in New York. His instruments are always beautifully executed and he only used the finest materials. Tonally, he was a great musician and is today considered one of the most important makers of modern Italian schools.
The violin is in excellent condition. The back is made from one piece quarter-cut maple with broad flames that rise from the treble to the bass sides. Similar to the back, the sides are made from quarter-cut maple. Scroll is made from quarter-cut maple with medium flames. The top is made from two pieces of medium-grain spruce. The varnish is a reddish-orange color. Reuning & Son certified. Back Length: 35.5 cm.